Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Galveston Sand Castle Competition

This past Saturday was the Galveston Sand Castle Competition.
I didn't know much about it before we went, and to be honest I still don't know much about it.
A friend from church had heard great things about it, so a group of us loaded up and drove down to Galveston Saturday morning.
Well, we left in the morning, and 3 hours later we had a parking spot at the beach.
Yikes.
It was so packed.
I could not even believe it. 
As for the competition, businesses sign up to compete, and they have 4-5 hours finish.
The public can walk around and watch as they build, 
but at 3:00 the competition stops and the judges make their rounds.
Some of the "castles" were very creative, some were not so much.
We saw more than enough Carnival Cruise ships paired with a toilet somehow, 
several Wizard of Oz-es, and even a few Duck Dynasty castles.
The bummer was that I walked through while they were still building, so I mostly saw peoples' rear ends.
Luckily, my friend went through at the end and got some great pictures.
Wreck It Ralph - My Main Man!
Get it??
This competiton is something that Michael and I would probably never have done on our own.
I mean, I don't even think we would know it existed.
But we had a great time.
Aside from the crazy traffic, and the crazier people, it was a good day.
And Bonus: I only got sunburned in one small spot - my right shoulder.
Random, but better than being a lobster!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...